Monday, April 19, 2010

Herman the Cripple

Herman of Reichenau (1013-1054) was born w/ cleft palate, cerebral palsy and spina bifida (split spine). He was so terribly deformed that he was powerless to move without assistance and could hardly speak. He was placed in a Benedictine monastery at the age of 7 by his parents who could no longer look after him. He was professed as a monk there at age 20. 

Despite his physical limitations, Herman was considered a genius. He was literate in several languages, including Arabic, Greek and Latin. He was a gifted mathematician and astronomer. He built astronomical equipment and musical instruments. When he eventually became blind due to his afflictions, Herman began writing prayers and hymns (Salve Regina) and became one of the most famous poets of his day. 

Remarkably, although Herman suffered much, he is said to be always cheerful and happy. He saw each trial as a means of purification and a way to be closer to God. 

The following poem was written by William Hart Hurlbut, a physician admirer of Herman. 


Herman the Cripple

I am least among the low,
I am weak and I am slow;
I can neither walk nor stand,
Nor hold a spoon in my own hand.

Like a body bound in chain, 
I am on a rack of pain, 
But He is God, who made me so,
That His mercy I should know.

Brothers do not weep for me!
Christ, the Lord, has set me free.
All my sorrows he will bless;
Pain is not unhappiness.

From my window I look down 
To the streets of yonder town, 
Where the people come and go,
Reap the harvest that they sow.

Like a field of wheat and tares,
Some are lost in worldly cares;
There are hearts as black as coal,
There are cripples of the soul.

Brothers do not weep for me!
In his mercy I am free.
I can neither sow nor spin,
Yet, I am fed and clothed in Him.

I have been the donkey’s tail,
Slower than a slug or snail;
You my brothers have been kind,
Never let me lag behind.

I have been most rich in friends,
You have been my feet and hands;
All the good that I could do,
I have done because of you.

Oh my brothers, can’t you see?
You have been as Christ for me.
And in my need I know I, too,
Have become as Christ for you!

I have lived for forty years
In this wilderness of tears;
But these trials can’t compare
With the glory we will share.

I have had a voice to sing,
To rejoice in everything;
Now Love’s sweet eternal song
Breaks the darkness with the dawn.

Brothers do not weep for me!
Christ, the Lord, has set me free.
Oh my friends remember this:
Pain is not unhappiness.

Reference/s:
Groeschel, Benedict J. (1993). Stumbling Blocks or Stepping Stones. Paulist Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment