Saturday, August 18, 2012

An Angel Named Job

2008
To see anyone in pain is difficult, but the sight of a child undergoing much suffering is hard to bear. I first heard of Job McCully's story via an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition – one of the few, “food for the soul” types of show on TV. I’m not much for sentimentality, but the story of this boy's pain and suffering just broke my heart.

Before leukemia:


Job was only 4 years old in 2002 when he was diagnosed with leukemia and given less than 10% chance of survival. After receiving chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant, he was eventually able to beat the cancer. However, because of the treatment, he developed fungal pneumonia which caused severe damage to his lungs. At one point, his heart stopped beating for 8 minutes but he miraculously survived. In 2007, he underwent a double lung transplant surgery. While the operation was a success, there was only so much pain and suffering Job’s little body could take. He developed cataracts in both eyes and was confined to a wheelchair. His medications contributed to an excessive weight gain and a bloated appearance. His immune system has become very fragile and he also now has diabetes.

with dad Robert
with mom Tina
with grandma Glenda
physical therapy
taking meds
“He’s been such an inspiration to so many people. And he’s only 10 years old.” 
Robert, Job’s dad

 
Yet, in spite of all the pain and suffering Job underwent and is still undergoing through, he still manages to smile – and a more beautiful sight one will never see. His courage and will to survive is rarely seen in anyone, much less that of a child. Job has become an inspiration and a symbol of hope to everyone who hears his story. Job is my hero.

thumbs up
After doing some research, I was happy to find out that Job’s health is continuing to improve and he is now able to walk. Like his biblical namesake who also underwent severe tribulations, I pray that God will continue to bless “Job's latter condition even more than his former one” (Job 42:12) and that little Job will live until he’s “old and full of days” (Job 42:17).

“How can you be more blessed, than to appreciate those precious moments that other people take for granted?” 
Tina, Job’s mom


I remember Mother Angelica once say on her show that children who suffered much here on earth, like Job, will be the happiest of all in heaven. To me this makes sense, for to those whom much has been given are also those who usually take blessings for granted, while those who go through much pain and suffering are also those who are capable of experiencing the greatest of joys in the simplest of things.

Angel Job
* Photos and Videos:

Have you ever seen an angel smile?
 
with sister Nicole
 
 
 

more recent
The McCully's
2nd Place Regional Spelling Bee
lovin' the rain
happy birthday

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (clip)

Camping, Roasting Marshmallows and Pirates

Do you know what the word hero means?
  
* Courtesy of:
  1. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition 
  2. www.caringbridge.org/ar/job/
For more, please visit:

3 comments:

  1. Wow Mark, this website is amazing! Thanks for posting the link on Job's Caringbridge site (www.caringbridge.org/visit/job). I am glad to report that Job is doing wonderful and we still love our house!! job is now 14 and in the 9th grade. He is in the high school band and manager of the jr. high football team. This December will mark 5 years since his lung transplant. All I can say, is praise God for his mercy and the strength that He gaves us to endure our burden, especially little Job. He has many rewards stored up for him in heaven!

    May god richly bless you,
    Tina McCully
    (Job's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina,

      First off, let me say that your family’s EMHE episode remains my personal favorite. I’m very happy to hear that Job is continuing to do well; he has inspired me to face my own suffering with courage and faith and his well-being will always be in my prayers. Please send my regards to the angel and the rest of your family. God bless!

      Mark

      Delete
  2. McCully family
    We just saw your episode of Extreme Makeover and your story touched me very much. I have health problms on my own and I used to be an exchange student in Arkansas, so I have my overseas family over there. God bless you all and special greetings to Job from Finland. I pray he'll continue doing better!
    Outi Elo

    ReplyDelete